Saturday, 14 August 2010


A FATHER-OF-TWO from East Yorkshire has told how he is still suffering a range of horrendous symptoms from Lyme Disease – 12 months after being bitten by a tick while walking in the Lake District.
Kevin Slater, 49, has spoken out in a bid to increase awareness of the illness, both amongst the general public and medical professionals in the UK.
“The effects of this disease are so horrendous that I made a promise to raise as much awareness as possible to try to prevent other people, especially children, from becoming infected,” he said, claiming there was a severe lack of knowledge and understanding within the NHS of the disease and appropriate methods of treatment
“It is crucially important that early treatment with aggressive antibiotics is given to stop the spread and eradicate the bacteria in the early stages.
“There should be public warnings about Lyme Disease in parks and open spaces so that people can take measures to protect themselves.
“We often see public notices in doctors surgeries warning about the dangers of disease such as malaria should we travel abroad. However, there is nothing mentioned about Lyme Disease, which exists in our own country.”
The Press reported last autumn how Mr Slater, a self-employed engineering consultant from near Pocklington, was bitten by a tick, an arachnid that cuts through flesh with barbed teeth before inserting a needle-like feeding tube, when he was walking in Grisedale Valley, Patterdale, during last August, probably while he was walking through a patch of bracken.
His illness developed into encephalitis -inflammation of the brain that can cause brain damage, blindness and even death.
He said today that over the past year, his symptoms had included fatigue, low grade fevers, swollen glands, stiff neck, myalgia, chest and abdominal pain, sleep disturbance, poor concentration, depression, back pain, blurred vision, tinnitus, headaches and dizziness.

To read the full article and comments click here

No comments:

Post a Comment