Thursday 19 August 2010

XMRV - HGRV

Hello all from Dr. B.
[Dr. Burrascano is a leading authority on tick-borne diseases, particularly Lyme disease.]

I just returned from the first official scientific symposium of the Whittemore-Peterson Institute on the topic of XMRV.

We formed a working group to be in constant touch and we plan to meet regularly because advances are coming so rapidly.

Big news that everyone should know and adopt is that we have proposed a name change for the virus.

This virus is a human, not mouse virus, and it is the first and so far only gamma-retrovirus known to infect people.

Also, it is clearly not an "endogenous" retrovirus (one that is present in all genomes due to ancient infection). Because of all of this, and because of the desire to begin on the right track:

• The new name of the virus is HGRV - Human Gamma Retro Virus.•

The illness caused by this infection is named HGRAD- Human Gamma Retrovirus Associated Disease.

We plan to announce this at the upcoming NIH retroviral conference this September.

Definitely stay tuned - the volume of new and important information about this virus and its disease associations is increasing rapidly and in my opinion should be a concern to every patient with chronic neuro-immune diseases, including those with chronic Lyme.

Joseph J. Burrascano Jr. M.D.Water Mill, NY, USA
_______________________________________
The above was posted on Eurolyme this evening but on checking through Twitter I also found it On Pro Health here

I had been meaning to post with news of XMRV as the Internet has been humming these last few days.

blog My Life as I stand up 2ME posted the TV program with Annette and Andrea Whitmore see here

and further news on Phoenix rising from Judith Mikovits here

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I like HGRV - Human Gamma Retro Virus, as it's more accurate. I don't like HGRAD though. Its awkward, and sounds like HS Grad... as in, high school graduate. :)

    Some have suggested Mikovits Disease, which I like.

    Will be interesting to see if and how this plays a role in chronic Lyme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurel I see you had already tweeted aboy it when i commented on your blog.

    Hmm 'Mikovits Disease' sounds great to me and it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't referred to by the ME/CFS world as that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got used to the idea that I tested positive for XMRV and now it looks like I have to learn HGRV. If it helps me get good treatment, I am all for it.

    Patricia Carter
    www.mecfsforums.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting thread on Phoenix Rising Forum
    http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?7001-News-from-WPI-symposium-Name-change-to-be-proposed-for-XMRV

    ReplyDelete